Sunday, May 31, 2009

Yeah, no posts, no wonder why no one reads this!  Anyhow, I haven't been blogging, but have been running biking swimming, so all is not lost.  In the past week or so, I have done the Boca ride again, this time with Tom (and about 4 minutes faster), and worked more on speed, getting out of the saddle and, as always, cadence.  I have to say, I just looove my bike, and it is so much nicer than the old red one.  I am inspired by it, really.  One day I hope to actually deserve its ride, if you know what I mean.

Have also done plenty of running and a fair amount of swimming.  I am again confronted with the reality that is the Garmin, for it continually proves to me how slow I really am, and how distances I thought were established (ie. the short Sawtooth trail I always consider to be just under 5 miles, come to find out is really just under 4 miles, thanks Nike+) are up for revision.  The thing just doesn't lie, and I am finding out how much I suck every day!!  

I have been doubling up my workouts more than I ever have before.  Example, today I ran around Donner Lake (the run I'll do in the triathlon, give or take a half mile), 7 miles in just under 1 1/2 hours, and swam 1000 yards in the pool in about a half an hour, maybe a few minutes more.  I read somewhere today that one of the best things you can do for yourself in training for an Oly is bricks bricks and bricks.  I don't think this qualifies as a brick, as I ran first thing in the morning and swam at around 5, but it does have to help.  I definitely plan some TRUE bricks in the coming month.

I also plan to get out and do some open water swimming, the more the better.  I got my wetsuit out of mothballs today in preparation, but it didn't work out.  Tomorrow I will probably try again.

I got a book called Swim Workouts for Triathletes today, and did the initial "test" to figure out what your swim times should be.  You're supposed to swim 3 300s, average them together, break it down to 100s, and this is called a T-time.  There's a handy chart in the book with the times all broken down for you, with projections for what time you should aim for at a specific distance and SURPRISE my time is not even on the chart.  By several minutes (for the 300, which my 3 trials averaged out to be 8:30).  Yeah, I got some growing to do as an "athlete" . . . 

No comments: