Sunday, March 8, 2009

Interview

So I know everyone was doing this last month but here I am, late to the party.  Steve at Steve in a Speedo?! Gross! was kind enough to throw a few questions my way and, hey!  I get a post out of it.  Bonus!

Interview Questions:

1.) What's your best and your worst race experience? Explain.
My best experience was probably my last race, the Death Valley Borax Half Marathon.  Why?  Well, I PR'd with the amazing(!) time of 2:25, a huge improvement over my previous half.  What really made it a great for me, tho, is that upon finishing, I really felt like I had done my absolute best.  I had RUN every step of the race and really *felt* like a RUNNER when I finished.  Plus, the setting was just mind-blowing and Death Valley is a place that I enjoyed immensely and can't wait to return to.  

I haven't actually had a "worst" race experience, I think mainly because I tend to look at races as something to have fun with and not something where I actually expect to compete with other people.  Racing seems to mostly be a motivator for me, a goal to train for.  Any race I can start and, sometime later down the road, finish, is a good experience for me. 

2.) What was the race that got you "hooked?" Explain.
My first race, which was a super-sprint tri.  I just totally dug the whole race scene, the event, the rituals of packet pick-up and putting the number bib on, etc. etc. etc.  I had never done any kind of race (outside of sailing) before this event, and as soon as I finished I was, like, "What can I do next?"  Hooked.

3.) What race or event are you most looking forward to this year? Why?
I am totally looking forward to the Donner Lake Triathlon.  Why?  Because it's in my home town (this is supposed to be an advantage, yes?), because I actually have a friend (whose ridiculously fast, but I'll forgive that) to train with, but mostly because this race represents the biggest challenge so far for me.  Not only is it at the untested Oly length, but it is NOT an easy race, with the bike leg having a huge amount of elevation gain and loss and the running leg being almost 7 miles.  And there's all that swimming, too, most of which is also uphill (or so it seems).

4.) Which animal would you love to be for a day? Why?
Hawk.  Flying.  Fast.  No question.  I once witnessed a hawk streak after a mouse or something, and the damn thing just folded its wings into itself and came out of the sky like a bullet and I swear it sounded just like a jet.  Amazing.

5.) If you had to pick a current game show to be on, which one would you pick? Why?
Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire still current?  I always thought I would rock on that show, because my mind is filled with useless facts that do me absolutely no good in life, but would give me a good shot at a million, I think.  Plus, I have lots of smart friends.

To play along:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by giving you five questions. (I get to pick the questions.)
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

I like your "no worst race" idea. I tend to think like that at times too (not as often as I should...)

I like #4! That'd be awesome!!