Sunday, March 29, 2009

Outside, finally

Spring is certainly making a (probably temporary) appearance here in Tahoe.  The past few days have been warm and sunny, with daytime temps in the 50s and only getting into the high 30s at night.  This wonderful weather boon means, of course, I . . . go shopping!  Spent a small fortune on retail therapy in Reno on Friday, though this is the first time in something like two years that I've bought any new clothes so I feel justified.  Also, the majority of my shopping was at Target, so it's not like I broke the bank.  I think my best purchase was these cycling shoes from REI . . . 


I had been using a pair of cheapo Pearl Izumis for years that I've hated (mostly because they were butt ugly and made my feet -- already large -- look HUGE, but also because they were a little loose fitting and hard to get off), and have lusted after SIDIs for equally as long, and Friday finally succumbed to the call . . . these shoes are awesome and definitely an improvement.

I tested them out yesterday, as Tom and I took advantage of the weather and went for "a little ride around town" with friends. This ride turned into a lovely 16-mile tour around parts of Truckee that I didn't even know existed, and culminated in a visit to the local Brewery (which I, in fact, did know existed). We tried to do a little fire road/single track exploration, but mostly met up with large patches of ice and snow hindering the way.


I forgot my camera yet again, but in the distance you can barely make out my friends pushing their bikes through the snow. Soon after, we turned around and headed for drier ground. We explored some parts of Martis Valley, and whilst winter is still hanging on, the scenery is beautiful.


I think there's all sorts of undiscovered running trails out there . . .

No comments: